Cooking with Bibi Aysha
My recipe for Butter Chicken
1kg washed & cubed chicken fillets
2 tblsp red chilli powder
1 tblsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander powder, also known as dhania powder
1 tsp fine cumin, also known as jeera
1 tin of beaten Nestlé cream
4 tblsp of sour milk
1 large onion, chopped
1 tsp ginger/garlic masala. I add 1 tblsp but adjust to your taste preference
1 tsp turmeric/haldi
1 tsp salt
4 tblsp tomato paste
Ghee for brasing onions, about 2 tblsp
Coriander sprigs for garnishing
2 whole green chillies, 2 whole cardoman pods
Donate to our feeding schemes to those desperate for food and basic needs. Even R10 for the sake of Allah may be a means of barakat.
Rasulullah ﷺ said, ” Whoever relieves a believer’s distress of the distressful aspects of this world, Allah will rescue him from a difficulty of the difficulties of the Hereafter.”
1. Combine the sour milk, ginger/garlic and spices together.
2. Add the chicken cubes and leave to marinate for about 30 min.
3. On high heat, braise onions, two whole green chillies and cardoman/elachie in heated clarified butter/ghee.
4. Add in marinated chicken cubes and cook over medium to low heat adding water to ensure the chicken cubes are tender.
5. Once the water has absorbed and the chicken cubes are cooked, add the tomato paste and cook for another 5 minutes.
6. Finally, add the beaten Nestlé cream and allow to cook for another 5 minutes stirring to ensure the butter chicken doesn’t thicken too much. Add milk if too thick.
7. Serve immediately. Garnish with coriander sprigs or chopped coriander. Serve with white, steamed rice or mini/large naan bread.